Hope V Anxiety Lockdown 3

This Lockdown feels different from the other one in March, I am not sure I count the lockdown in November as so much was still open, I don't know if anyone else has felt the same? I was trying the other day to think why it did feel so different. I think that there are a few things that has made this so different. The first thing is the weather.  In the previous lockdown I was able to sit outside with my books and a cup of tea. The warmth of the weather meant that the days were filled with reading and lovely walks in the park and discovering new walks in the local area. This time with the cold weather the feeling is different. With the new Variant of the virus we are seeing numbers of infections growing everyday. The fear and anxiety is shown to us of the number of those in hospitals and those who have died.  I must say sometimes when I watch the news I feel a certain amount of dread and Hopelessness.


With the national anxiety there are also personal and individual anxieties going on as well, from Job and financial security to personal health and the health and well being of those whom we love. With all this going on you can see why peoples mental heath is at breaking point.

But with all this anxiety there are rays of hope. There is always hope. The Christian faith gives us hope. It allows us to realise that in all this mess and national anxiety there is hope. In the bible there are many images of hope. I was reading this morning the story of Noah and the flood after the storm there was the Rainbow a sign from heaven to show us all that God is with us. We have just celebrated Christmas the realisation that Jesus is always with us that he never leaves our side. He gives us hope. One of the things that we have all realised is that we can all attain this hope. Not in the Churches or buildings but in our own homes reading and listening to the one who loves us. Going to that place within us taking a bit of time out to get that sense of hope from the one who loves us. 

How is this done? I have just recently brought a new watch that has a breathe app. It tells me a few times a day to stop and listen to my breathing. I have taken this time for a moment of prayer. Taking it as a moment to breath in the hope that Jesus brings us ti recognise that among this dark days that there is the light of hope. 

Also focus on the good news. Look at the amount of people that have been vaccinated the images of those helping each other through this time the radome acts of kindness. This is where we see hope we see the hope that Jesus brings in action. 


So if you are filled with anxiety and feel the hopelessness of the situation maybe we can focus on a lot of good things about the world. Maybe we can see that there is hope. An old priest once said to me and I have never forgotten it. "Everything comes to an end" Maybe we can't see an end insight but there will be an end we will get back to normal we will meet again. If you are filled with anxiety hold on to hope. As I write this the Sun has come out on my back almost reminding me that hope is there. 

Lastly maybe away to fill ourselves with hope is to have a grateful jar. This is to look everyday and see signs of where we are grateful. 


So when anxiety strikes you down. Look for signs of hope. Be grateful for the things around you and focus on the person of Jesus, ask for the Holy Spirit to help you and fill you with hope. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

The beauty of the first part of Holy Week.