Florence and Lent

This past week I have been I Florence on Holiday but while I was there I was thinking about what to say to you this weekend about beginning lent. I want to share with you an exerpeice that reminded me of what we are on these next 40 days. One of the great exerpeice’s of Florence is to walk up the steps to the dome at the top of the Cathedral. The beautiful exterior of the Cathedral really does take you breath away. But some of the best views are on the top of the dome some 400 steps away. The walk up reminded me of the stages we go through in Lent. 

The first thing that we do when we give something up for lent is to make an effort. You say but with a bit of doubt of course I can do it. We also have the habit of telling everyone about it. I am reminded of my small friend Josh who told me and the world that he was giving up chocolate for lent and he was going to the nicer to his Mum. At the end of school it was his Grandmother who picked him up. She had brought him a large bar of chocolate. There was Josh his eyes bright as he untapped the chocolate bar and slowly ate it with joy and glee. I happened to walk past him and said "Josh what have you given up for lent?" knowing he had told everyone. with a straight face he said " I am going to be nicer to my mother" and with chocolate over the whole of his face said " But. Can't remember what else"


We need to put some effort into Lent not just full at the first hurdle.  When I saw the climb up I had the same feeling. You know its a long way but you put the effort in and of you go. As you begin to climb you start to notice your legs. They get heavier. The easy option is to turn around and so no this really is not for me I cannot do it.  But with the help of others and realising that everyone else is struggling with their own climb you carry on. Same with fasting you struggle at times and it is hard  but you just carry on. Its now really tough you are half way. There is no turning back the only option is to carry on. By this time the fourth Sunday of Lent we get a vision of the Glory Laterde Sunday. By this time in the walk we had come out to just under the dome which is a beautiful painting leading up the top. Its a touch of joy and wonder at how far you have climbed how much you have done.

 We have made it this far. 




The next part of the climb is the hardest. This is true also the 5th and sixth weeks of lent the stories and the feeling gets more intense. In the climb the last part was the worse the climb was steeper there was narrow steps your legs just seemed to work without feelings there was a pause and stop for breath. But the good thing is that you know that the end is in sight your breath gets laboured and is hard. But then the last few steps you come out to see the most beautiful view you are at the top this is like the joy of easter. The pain and the hardship are gone and you can bask in the view soak up the glory of God and wonder at the beauty of creation.


So as we begin lent let us go steady remmbering that it is a long process but well worth the climb and well worth the view at the end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

Fashion tips for what its worth.