Prayer Ministry and Alpha

So I arrived in the parish here at St Josephs and St John the Baptist on May 31st 2017. This is the date actually of my anniversary of ordination. I arrived to find that the parish was in the middle of the Alpha course. This excellent 10 week course of understanding and getting to Know Jesus a little more and seeking that all important relationship with the person of Jesus. Something that the Catholic Church has not always been good on. An essential part of the Alpha course is the day on the Holy Spirit or the weekend retreat on the Holy Spirit. This is really what the other times have been leading up too.  And to be perfectly honest was one of my least favourite parts of the Alpha course.  In the weekend or day away there is an opportunity to be prayed over. It is something that I try and avoid like the plague.

So in light of what I have just said here is my story:

On the day of the Holy Spirit day I could not make the whole day because of saying Mass in the morning, which I was pleased about. I dragged my feet up to the venue. When I got there it was about lunchtime and in the afternoon there was going to be an opportunity for prayer ministry and to be prayed with and for. At this point sitting firmly in the corner, or what felt like the corner I hid. As the prayer was going on around me I closed my eyes very tightly and prayed that the hospital bleep would go off to save me from this embarrassing situation. After a while I was asked if I wanted to be prayed with. I reluctley said yes. In the prayer ministry there are times when you can be given a word of wisdom. That day I was given a word of wisdom it was " You are my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." Ok I thought a word from scripture that easy anyone can do that. Although a powerful experience I dismissed it as just a experience and something I vowed would not be repeated. Oh and guess what as I left the meeting as I sat on the bus: my hospital bleep went off. 

God had other plans:

I come to the next time I was prayed with. Again I hid being quiet and dismissive again I prayed for the bleep and more earnestly this time. Again two different people asked if I wanted to be prayed with, again I reluctley said yes. So I thought, I know what to expect this time. As they prayed over me they perceived that there was a reluctance to let go and let God in. This maybe because I was feeling uncomfortable but as they prayed I noticed that my hands were starting to open wide something was happening in me an acceptance. Again they offered me a word of wisdom and it was " You are my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased" Again I dismissed it as something that they always say. But, I began to wonder if in fact there was anything in this!! But I dismissed it. 

God Still had other plans:

I move now to the Divine Renovation conference. There was only one parishioner there. I want to add first. It was the last night and we were having a prayer session. This time I was up for it lets test it out I thought.  So in the midst of the prayer and praise I found, for the first time ever, my hand going up in praise of God. I found myself doing something very alien from me. I also felt at peace and not judged or laughed at, which I now realise was just my own judgemental attitude. I realised that I was starting to let go a little more and let God. God was taking control and I felt a lot freer and ironically a lot more in control. In the prayer session the person said and I kid you not " You are my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." Ok GOD I have got the message or so I thought because still in the back of my mind I was convinced that it was some sort of conspiracy. 

Speak lord your servant is listening:
yes I was listening but obviously still struggling to hear. So here it goes the last incident to date. We had in the parish a small Alpha at someones house. I was unable to attend it as I was engaged in other things on the night it was on. But, I had decided to go to the last one just to be nosey ( Honesty is always good.) I had planed that it would be the last session so that I could avoid the one on prayer and healing. So I wrote this: "Dear .....I would very much like to come to alpha this evening as I know its the last one and just say hello to the group" The reply came back and I paraphrase " Oh well its on Prayer and healing" My heart sank " I will ask" it continued " if we feel its a good idea." My prayer was in Ernest please God I hope its not ok and had started to plan what I might have to eat that night.  The answer came back " No it will be good to have you there." Oh !@£$£@ I thought I had better go. The evening went well and then it came to the prayer. Again a smaller group and again there was to be some prayer ministry. It was suggested that I might like the group to pray for me. Oh no I said not me. But, dragging my feet I went. And during the prayer these words were said: " You are my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased"

Ok God now I believe now I get it. Now I see the value of the prayer ministry and the healing ministry through prayer. Our relcutance is from our own fear of letting go and letting God. It is about allowing God to touch us in a new way. Do not be afraid and also Do not worry. God gets you in the end. I know that I am beloved by God and maybe I just needed to be told by him through another person. SO if the opportunity arises to be prayed with then do it. But, as I have discovered do not worry if you does not become clear right at the beginning give it time and give it to God in his time. I am still on the Journey still understanding his message for me. But do it. Do alpha it is life changing. And let God in, in your own time but do it.    

I will write more as more things happen and as I experience this kind of wonderful ministry some more so watch this space. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

Fashion tips for what its worth.