Lent week 1


Ash Wednesday morning I was listening to the radio and they were discussing Lent. In the discussion there was a general idea that Lent was good for us. It was a time when we could give things up to make us feel better. What are you doing for Lent? If Lent therefore becomes a quest to lose weight or to male ourselves feel better then we need to ask ourselves what exactly the meaning is of lent. Lent is a time when we stop in our busy lives and focus our minds away from self and on God. If in the process we lose weight or feel better about ourselves then that’s good. But, it should not be focused on self but on our relationship with Jesus.

This is golden opportunity to have a spiritual spring clean and look towards the Lord in prayer and fasting and works of charity so that we can come to the Lord at Easter knowing him a little better than we do now.

But, this Lent I want to focus myself to talking about one aspect of getting closer to God and that is in the sacrament of reconciliation. I want people to know the joy of this wonderful sacrament. The other week I was at SPH hearing confessions. After almost over 200 confessions that went on that day a teacher who was not a catholic came to me and said “ What a wonderful gift you Catholics have to know you are forgiven and loved by God that you can speak without anyone judging you” And I thought yes he was absolutely right. And as I reflected on what he was saying I realised that this gift given to us by Jesus is sadly very underused and kept at the back or bottom of the cupboard.

Many people do not use this gift because of many different reasons. These reasons the Bishop spoke about last week in his letter. Jesus gives us an invitation to spend these 40 days to prepare for the great feast of Easter. I invite you to bring your anxiousness you may have to the Lord in prayer. It may take you several weeks to pluck up the courage to go. To truly understand what is going on.  I know myself and Fr Tony are very willing to talk to anyone of you about it and to help you receive again this wonderful gift.  You will find the times of the sacrament of reconciliation in the newsletter or simply just ring the office to make an appointment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.