Give Advent a chance



Yesterday afternoon I got a phone message from my Brother. He said Christmas has come early West Ham has beaten Chelsea. I don't have a problem with the first part of the statement in fact  I was quite pleased. I do have a problem with the statement " Christmas has come early" 
While I was out in Australia this year my Cousin and I went up to Mount Victoria which is in the midst of the Blue Mountains. We had decided that we would go for Lunch so we found this place called the Victoria and Albert Hotel. As we walked in on a July afternoon I was surprised to see a rather anemic Christmas tree and Christmas decorations. The owner told me that people liked to come to Christmas in July when it is cold so that they can enjoy Christmas. So we tucked into our Turkey Sandwich and a Glass of lemonade.

For me my experience of this in Australia is not uncommon for I wonder when the first time this year that you saw a Christmas tree was or heard the first Christmas song.
And yet we are in danger of missing out of a big part of the Liturgical year and a season that is vitally important and that is Advent. 

Advent is that time for preparation not just shopping for the Turkey and looking for bargains in the shopping arcades but must also be a time for Spiritual preparation: A time for assessing what is really important in our lives.

So often we are caught up into the trappings and cares of this world that we cannot see anything other than ourselves: Although sometimes this is a safe place to be because it does not interact with the real world where we can really and truly find ourselves. St Paul urges us to live the kind of life that God wants. This means not trusting in the things of this world that will pass but to focus on the Lord and trust in him. The more we put our faith and trust in the Lord the freer we will become. This is why Advent is important, yes I know it is a busy time but it is also a time to stop, look at our lives and where God is in it and how important he is in it and listening trusting in the Lord’s voice.

In the Churches wisdom it  gives us this time to renew ourselves and look at our lives and in this year of faith to renew our faith and deepen our love of the Lord let us not waste this opportunity by focusing on Christmas and ignoring Advent. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.