Jesus and Travel plans




Whenever I go away on holiday or just over night I always without fail over pack: I take loads of stuff away with me and half the stuff I don’t actually use or need. In my mind I have the phrase going through my head “Oh I might just need that.” And then when we get back we actually realised that I did not need it at all.  Basically I do not travel light. I would have then great difficulties I think being a disciple. I would not be able to cope with the travel plans that Jesus would have given me. No spare tunic no, no money, no travel insurance.  Jesus tells us that all we need his authority and the gift of ourselves the talents and gifts that we have been given by God.
Mark says nothing in this Gospel about what the disciples said in their missionary activity the most important thing here is presence and through that presence they are witnesses to the Gospel.

So what do the disciples tells us about what it means to be Gospel. The phrase that comes into my mind is that the Gospel is “alive and active.” It lives through us. For the Gospel is the living word of God. It is not static it lives through the witness that we give to the person of Jesus. This authentic life, living the Gospel values is what we are summoned and commissioned to do by virtue of our baptism.

We do this through the vocation that God has called us to do. I am constantly surprised that God chose me to be a priest. I am humbled by the people that come and share part of their struggles and joys with me. It is an immense privilege and honour to serve God through this vocation and to be here in Bognor Regis.

 To attempt through my own fatality and weakness to bring the Gospel to others.  It is a wonderful and joyful vocation.  Yes, it is important to talk about other vocations but, we also need priests. I heard a story the other day where a person was complaining about the lack of priests and the priest asked this question to her. How many home grown priests have come from this parish? The answer was none.  Do we encourage vocations? Do we pray for vocations daily? And have  ever asked that question to any young men in our congregation? 

IF you want to know about Vocations and especially Vocations to the Priesthood then follow this link. http://calledbyname2.com/

Comments

Jane Ireland said…
I understand your comment on needing priests, and I do think it is important that we encourage our young catholic men to consider this vocational path in their lives. However as a young, catholic female I feel slightly sidelined. Where do I go in my life if I don't feel I'm being called to be a nun? If I don't feel I'm being called to the religious life then what vocations are open for me? I still feel that as a young woman my needs to explore vocation aren't being met by the catholic church, and although we need priests and we need our young men to explore this vocational past, we also need to make sure the female catholic youth don't feel like they are being ignored or that vocation is not for them.
Peter Fitch said…
Jane,

I do feel that every vocation is important and the vocation of a young Catholic women need to be supported and prayed about. However it is impossible to get all the vocations in one homily. I have in the past preached about other vocations and finding God's call. I wanted to encourage our good people of Bognor to support and pray for vocations to the priesthood in our parish. Remember the route word of Vocation is to be called. Living a good life listening and praying and witnessing to the Gospel is our baptismal vocation and we all share it.

I hope that helps. But, I do agree with you that the Church could do better at exploring what is the vocation of a young woman who does not feel called to religious life or so indeed marriage.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.