6th Sunday of Easter






One of the strongest emotions that we have as human beings is love. And yet it is one of the things that really are not truly understood. We use the word for so many different things from a football club to a particular kind of food. It is also one of the emotions that we get wrong even more than we get right. But, I know in the past I have spoken about this word quite a lot especially in relationship to other people. But, I want to explore this morning what it means to love self. I remember many years ago reading a very good book called “Why am I afraid to Love?” by John Powell. One of the things that he expressed in this book is that we do not really love ourselves we are not comfortable with who we are and so find it impossible to love others. This is one of the biggest problems that I encounter in my ministry. So how does this manifest itself. There are those who are constantly checking whether what they have done is ok. Others hide in the shadows not believing that they have anything to bring to the table. Others are constantly putting themselves down hoping for a quick fix of praise. All these things rather than helping our self esteem actually do the opposite.

We can get true self esteem because we are actually loved so much by God let us look at the Gospel “ This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you.” That means you.  We are being talked about in the Gospel today. He loves us so very much that in it should help us stand tall in the sight of others. And because we are loved so much then we can then express and love others. The fact that God Chose you “You did not choose me, no I chose you” Listen to those words You are chosen you are loved you are beautiful in the sight of God. If it feels that I am verbally shaking you well I am: Because even after hearing the Gospel those wonderful words by Jesus himself. Even after my verbal shaking you there will be some of you here today who will say Well that does not apply to me. I am not lovable I can never truly be loved.

So I am going to give you an exercise to do. When you get home and am in prayer this week. Take some time allow the lord to fill you with his love. Take a look at the Cross the cross of love and realise that this God of ours loved us so much that he died for us. Died for you. Then from this we can learn to love others too. 



Comments

Anne Chapman said…
I like it! Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.