Second Sunday of Advent Year A

When I was 18 years old I collapsed at a right angle to the bed I was rushed into hospital and the hospital told me after numerous tests that I needed a pacemaker fitted. At the age of 18 this was a tough call. I protested saying that I did not want the operation.  A little while later while I was in the hospital bed the doctor came round and said to me that if I did not have the operation I would be dead within two years.  While on the operating table I thought to myself that there must be more to life than what I was doing. It was on that operation table that I decided that I would try my vocation as a priest.
In one sense looking back at this experience I could say that it was my conversion experience. It was my point of looking and seeing where my paths were not straight.

In one we all go through our own conversion experiences. We all have moments where we realise where we are and what we are doing and make a choice to change what we are doing. I firmly believe that we have little conversion experiences at different times all our lives little moments where the Lord is asking us to make our paths straight.

I wonder though how we can make our own paths straight especially in this holy season of Advent.
In the first reading we get this idealistic view of what will happen when the messiah comes. There will be period of peace and harmony where “The wolf lives with the lamb, the panther lies down with the kid.” The traditional things that generally don’t like each other’s company will be together in peace.  This theme is also shown in the Psalm for in his days justice shall flourish and peace till the moon fails.

As Catholic Christians we must always strive for peace and especially for Justice. This desire must come from ourselves by showing peace and justice to those whom we meet. In little ways we can do this. One of the ways that we can attempt to do this is by not getting led into gossip. By rather than joining in with the gossip making sure that you affirm the person who is being talked about. As it says in the second reading today “It can only be to God’s glory, then, for you to treat each other in the same friendly way Christ treated you”
To make our paths straight then is to look at ourselves and ask ourselves how we can change to become more like the person of Christ. We need to acknowledge first that we need our paths to be straightened by listening to the word of God, following the example of Christ and repenting and believing the Gospel.

So in the sacrament of reconciliation we come to acknowledge our need for God and our desire to change our ways. It is here in a special way we meet Christ, who is love and has a desire to help us make our paths straight. May be this advent as we prepare for the coming of Christ and make that journey to be reconciled in the sacrament of reconciliation. Here in this Church we have that opportunity of coming to the sacrament on Saturday mornings and afternoons. We also have our reconciliation service on the 20th December here in the Church. It is our time for conversion our opportunity to make our paths straight. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.