29/10/2010

The Kingdom of God is within you. This phrase has struck me over the last few days. What exactly was Jesus talking about here? I was reflecting on it when it struck me that in order for the Kingdom of God to dwell we need to accept him and love him. IT is sometimes the hardest thing in the world to accept. " Think of the love the Father has lavished on us" it says in another part of the New Testament. This love is lavished upon us which is really quite strong language. It is something that it is given because we are His Children. Just like a Mothers love for here children that is the same love that God has for us. So when the Kingdom of God is within you. IT is the total love of God for us. A little thing that I like to do every now and then as a spiritual exercise is to take John 21:15-19 and apply it to yourself.

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me."

One final thought. Accepting Christ's love is life changing but also a great challenge. Following the Gospel listening attentivly to his voice can take you to strange places even Bognor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

What have we learnt? Covid and the last year.