Baptised in the Spirit

A few months ago I was prayed over. It was a strange experience and felt very uncomfortable. During that time the person who prayed with me said that I was closed. My body language must have said as much. I was angry because I have always seen myself as quite an open person. I came away feeling quite discouraged and felt that there was nothing in this prayer stuff.

Over the next few months I tried it again a few times. It seems that although I was running away that something was drawing me to wanting people to pray with me. At three different occasions and with three very different people said the same thing it was this “ You are my beloved Son in whom I am pleased.” 

Over March, I think because of the weather and also grief, I was very depressed and also quite needy. I remembering texting my best friend and saying to her I need you please call. So lent felt hard and painful. Easter and Holy Week came and I realised that I was very very tired. I had been invited to Worth to the young persons Celebrate Conference which is called Joels Bar. Tired and the weather being absolutely bad as well I went to the conference day: This was Easter Monday. We arrived just at  the point of Mass  which was being celebrated by Bishop Richard. During the Homily he said that it does not matter where we have been or what we have done God still loves us. I felt that he was talking directly at me. 

Over lunch we discussed what kind of workshops that we would go to. There was one on education the looked as if it would be fun but the one that I went with was one on the Charismatic gifts of the holy Spirit. It was worth me going. God was working today hard for me. I then went down to the praise evening not expecting too much but was asked if I would go to the front which I did. During that time there was an opportunity for people to come round and pray with us. It seemed to go on for a long time and I was praying that someone came to me to be prayed with. Eventually they did. They described that. I was going down a long dark tunnel and that I had come out the other side into a wonderful garden. They were right which I told them I hugged him but had tears in my eyes. Later that evening I was asked “ Do you speak in tongues?” I said I think so although I had always felt quite self conscious about it. They suggested that we pray to see. We did that at after a time it was confirmed and I realised that I had this gift. During this time we prayed and I cried a lot all the emotion of the past all the hurts. Some of the pain of losing Dad. And then when e came back we just laughed and laughed and laughed but not a guilty laugh but real joyful laughter. Some passed us and was watching us and said. I know what happened there. I was baptised in the spirit. I realised that God is working in the world today maybe before I never really understood it or just thought it happens to others and not me. I realised that This joy this personal relationship can happen to anyone if we just open our hearts and let God in. My prayer that those who read this may find God that is personal for them.


God is good. Pray to the Holy Spirit for a fresh out pouring as we enter Pentecost. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

The beauty of the first part of Holy Week.